Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Be Thankful!



Be Thankful! is our worship theme for Thanksgiving Sunday, the 22nd Sunday after Pentecost, November 16, 2012. Our focus scripture is Colossians 3:12-17.

Here, the author of Colossians writes of the virtues that Christians should strive to live out. The author lists compassion, kindness, humility, meekness and patience. Then come forgiveness and, above all, love. Finally there is the peace of Christ ruling in our hearts and creating unity in the church. With all of that going for us, the author then reminds us to be thankful. With these virtues established, we have everything we need. Indeed, this reminds me of Paul’s statement at the end of Philippians that he has learned to be content in whatever circumstance he finds himself. “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me, he writes.”

Life is full of beautiful possibilities regardless of economic circumstance. We can be thankful because nothing can separate us from God’s love in Christ Jesus, our Lord. God’s love swirls around us and within us every moment. So alive within the power of God’s love we can be thankful!

Here is a Call to Worship based on Deuteronomy 8:7-18. Please use or adapt anything that is helpful to you.

Call to Worship    from Deuteronomy 8:7-18

L: Friends, as we celebrate Thanksgiving let us recall God’s promises to Israel:
    Behold, I am bringing you into a good land; a land of flowing streams, of wheat  
    and barley, of vines and fig trees and pomegranates, of olive trees and honey.
    In this land you will lack nothing!
P: Yet take care that you do not forget me, by failing to keep my commands.
    And when you eat your fill, and live in fine houses; when your flocks
    multiply and you have money in the bank… then do not exalt yourselves
    forgetting the One who brought you out of slavery.
L: For it was I who led you through the terrible wilderness with fiery snakes and
    scorpions. I made water flow out of flint rock and fed you with manna.
P: So do not say to yourself, “My power and might got me all this wealth.  
     I did it all myself!” Remember that my strength makes you live well.
    And I give it to keep covenant with you today, just as I did your ancestors.
All: Thanks be to God!  Let us worship God!                                                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment