Tuesday, June 4, 2013

New Life



New Life is the worship theme for the third Sunday after Pentecost, June 9, 2013. Our focus scripture reading is Luke 7:11-17.

The healing of the widow’s son at Nain is one of the stories that simply shows us who Jesus is. As he is entering the city, Jesus meets a funeral procession which is taking a young man out to be buried. He is the only son of a widow, meaning that his mother is going to be left in a very precarious position. Not only is she filled with grief, but in a society without Social Security or welfare she needs the help and protection of a man. She is in the same position as Naomi in the Book of Ruth.

Jesus sizes up the situation and is filled with compassion. Without being asked, he simply stops the procession and calls the young man to new life. Jesus is a walking piece of the kingdom of heaven, born into his life on earth. With the kingdom is love and compassion and healing for all. It is this kingdom work that we inherit from him and that is our ministry.

Here are two Calls to worship. Please use or adapt anything helpful to you.  

**Call to Worship

L: Once there was a man who lived without fear.
P: Wherever he went the love of God went with him.
L: In fact, God’s love flowed out of him like a circle of light.
P: Inside that circle, people were safe.
L: Sick people received healing.
P: Sad people received hope.
L: Angry people received the gifts of forgiveness and peace.
P: Weak people got backbone.
L: Aimless people got purpose.
P: All of them felt intuitively like they had walked into heaven on earth.
L: The man who lived without fear is gone now.
All: He left his circle of light for you... for me... step in!                                 



 Call to Worship    From Psalm 30

L: Praise you, O God! You rescued me! You lifted me over my enemies!
P: I cried out to you, Lord, and you healed me.
L: You drew me up from the grave, O God. You saved me from falling into the pit.
P: Sing, all you faithful! Bless God’s holy name!
L: For God’s anger lasts but a moment; God’s grace lasts a lifetime.
     Weeping may linger for a night, but joy comes in the morning.
P: Puffed up by prosperity, I bragged, “I’m invincible!”
L: By your grace, O Lord, you made me a strong mountain.
     But when you looked away; I fell apart.
P: Then I cried to you for help, O God. I begged your forgiveness and mercy.
     What good is it to you if I die? Can my dust praise you?
     Can I tell your faithfulness from the pit? Hear me, help me, gracious God!
L: Then you did it! You turned my mourning into dancing!
     You took off my sackcloth and clothed me with joy!
All: Now my soul is bursting with praise! I cannot keep silence!
     O Lord my God, I give thanks to you forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment